Monday, June 29, 2009

Confession #2: I'm in my 20's and (gasp) I hate Contemporary Worship

I have a confession...I am in my 2o's and I hate CCM.
Yes, it is true. Try to sustain your shock and surprise and, dare I say, horror at that fact that you have just been proven wrong . . . no, not everyone under the age of 30 likes what you call Contemporary Christian Music. As for those of you who think that is what your teenage son or daughter listens to, they are lying. They may listen to it while you're around but the minute they leave the house or have their I-pod they are listening to their own music. And no, you would not like what you hear.
A while back our church held a meeting to discuss our contemporary worship or as they call it "praise service" (as far as I am concerned you can call it whatever you like, it doesn't change the fact that it is still trying to be something it is not). I dislike Christian contemporary worship for numerous reasons. The first – and, to me, the most obvious – reason is that it is not contemporary. Even if it was written yesterday the majority of songs chosen for contemporary services today are in the style of Peter, Paul and Mary...from the 60's (which in case you were confused, is NOT contemporary)! The second reason and the reason I think everyone should not want to see the majority of CCM in their worship service is that – from the Lutheran perspective – it is not doctrinally sound. Thirdly, I like traditional services...it has worked for hundreds of years, why change it now. Plus, everyone is jumping on the contemporary worship bandwagon, why not do what Christians were always known for doing...not following the crowd? Why not stand out in the sea of CCM services and show people that we are different...something worth seeing?!
Regardless of my thoughts on the CCM issue, there were harsh words spoken by a few at our meeting. Worse than that was the fact that these same people seemed to have told others about their problems with my husband and the meeting rather than talk with him. So now, there are these horrible rumors going around about him. Seeing the man I love and respect being falsely accused and betrayed has been profoundly painful and this betrayal has come from the most unexpected source; over the most unexpected issues. I have always said I want to follow Jesus all the way, but I did not have betrayal and false accusations in my mind at those times in my life.
Part of confession #1 stems from this meeting. I am not wanted in this church. Someone openly scoffed, rolled their eyes and sat there fuming over a certain comment at the meeting. Five minutes later, this person interrupted the conversation to say that it was the stupidest thing they had ever heard. They went on and the conclusion reached by many upon hearing this was that it was better for the congregation to lose a few members in order to have larger attendance numbers. I'm sorry...I guess I was under the assumption that worship services were for the church's members. Screw those of us who dare to question what the powers that be want! I have asked that my membership be held so that I don't join a church that will so easily dismiss me when I don't follow what they have decided is the will of all. I am rather angry over this whole thing. This person's comments and actions are not the only thing that have upset me, my anger, misery and loneliness had been building for 2 months at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment